Monday, August 24, 2009

Kumihimo or that circle thingy


DSC00133, originally uploaded by a-chan.

Years ago, maybe 4 or 5, I was really into anime and I frequented "pink stores" just to see if they had any cool new Japanese things. I picked this do-dad up on a whim and followed the instructions and ended up with a really cool bracelet. Then it got stored away in my craft stash.

Last night I was looking for something, I don't remember what, when I found it, complete with the instructions and the last of the yarn it came with. Curious, I picked it up and after consulting the instructions, I was on my way again.

Then I decided to do some research, to see if I could find any other patterns. While the spirally design mine came with is fun, I wanted to make a variety! I guess there's books, but the free online patterns are few and far.

I did manage to find a few, but I also saw a bunch of homemade disks. That got me thinking! I have a bunch of foam that I can cut them out of and make some for my nieces! I bet they’d love them. The youngest one (going into kindergarten this year, yikes!) is always asking me to teach her to knit (but never at convenient times). Perfect! I’ll bring them camping with some yarn and see what happens.

No comments: