Friday, January 4, 2008

Mid-day workout and late gifts


sock yarn, originally uploaded by a-chan.

I decided to walk to knit/purl on my lunch hour. I had never knit with Malabrigo and it's the yarn called for in the scarf I want to knit: the mabel's scarf. I looked at the knit/purl website and they had some! yay! But it turns out I didn't like the colors once I saw them in person. I'll have to find them at another store, I guess. I don't normally knit a pattern in the called for yarn. But this one seemed to call out to me. Instead of starting the scarf tonight, I'll do something less productive, like play video games and eat pizza.

Anyways, I have this skein of Fleece Artist Sea Wool that's just been hanging around and I've decided to knit a chevron scarf with it. I just needed to pick the right colorway. I think one of the three skeins above will work. The Sea Wool is more a more muted green and blue (plus brown).

I'm also hoping to make my way to Fabric Depot this weekend to pick up some Lion Brand Cotton-ease for a blanket. I've decided I'm going to start knitting for baby banana even if I don't know if it's a boy or a girl. I'm thinking a dark gray can go either way. I love Fabric Depot's 30% off everything sales!

I have a question. When you knit a hat for yourself, do you also knit a scarf or mittens to match? Now, before I would have said that is silly. But I'm finding myself more and more wearing non-matching hats/scarves/mittens. Wouldn't it look better if I would just knit matching sets? Not even using same stitch patterns, but just the same colorway.

So I was thinking I should be buying more yarn.... wow, that's not where I thought this was going! Maybe instead of one or two skeins, I buy 3 or 4 or maybe 5. My husband will like that. He's already said I need to knit or get rid of 85% of my stash this year. That doesn't mean I can't buy yarn, I just need to only buy what I'm using... and then knit from my stash.

I guess this is a stash busting year. I'll come up with something for it all. I wonder if I have enough Lion Brand Homespun for an afghan... probably. I probably also have enough old acrylic to do an afghan.

No comments: