Tuesday, December 15, 2009

So, I wrote a pattern...

But it's not ready yet. I took pictures of the finished items, and some during the process. But my computer froze every time I tried to upload the pictures. Go figure.

There's actually 2, but I've only finished the pattern for one.

Want the background story? Richard's department at work always has an ornament exchange party and I've always wanted to knit the ornament, but I've never done it. This year, he asked me to do it. I started out with Eunny Jang's cabled globe ornament (rav link), but I didn't have the right yarn, so I went down to size 3s and it turned out okay. I tried a second one, but with even thinner yarn (don't know what I was thinking) and size 2s. That one took way too long!

My next idea was to knit a mini sock in red and white. I knit a tall, red baby sock with white cuff and lightly stuffed it, added an i-cord loop, sewed the top closed. It turned out really cool! It was a bit bigger than I originally thought it would be.

Then it hit me, knit a matching Santa hat! I cast on like I was knitting a regular hat, knit the brim in white, switched to red, decreased, added a braid for a loop, added a small pom-pom, secured the loop. And I had a hat!. I really didn't want to give them away! They were a hit at the party!

I gave the two cabled balls as a hostess gift (Richard's idea, they were both blue). And I crocheted a Christmas pickle for the host, too. All in all, a successful party.

Because I thought the hat was too cute, I cast on for another one yesterday making sure to take notes. I think the second one turned out just as good as the first one. On the first one I did a 2 stranded braid (basically just plying by hand) and the second one I did a regular 3 stranded braid. It just seemed easier and less fiddly.

Now I need to write the pattern for the stocking. Not like I don't have enough to do! I reserved Saturday for baking cookies, but it turns out my cousin is on leave from Afghanistan and they're have a lunch party for him on Saturday.

I'm starting to feel a little bah-humbuggie. I have my work's fancy shmancy party Friday night and lunch with friends Sunday. Then there's the party on the 23rd. I have to work on the 23rd and the 24th, so that's very not convenient for me!

Bah Humbug!

No comments: